Excerpts from published eBooks

Captain Disaster: The Dark Side of the Moon - 1 2 3
The Captain Disaster Collection - 1 2 3 4
The Mellow Hip of the Thing - 1 2 3
Captain Disaster: The Damaris Touch - 1 2
Outside, Inside - 1 2 3 4

Friday 15 September 2017

Excerpt from "Outside, Inside"

The Test: An Allegory.



An enchanted dream
breezes through my mind, an echo
of the past, of happier days, or maybe
the future, of joyful things to come.
But lo!  What is this I espy, a creature
foul and wicked, utterly detestable
and yet
so attractive, beguiling, alluring…
But what is this?!  It has a name,
emblazoned
on its forehead, and its name is this;
TEMPTATION.
I ponder this dream, and it seems to me
that TEMPTAION has taken a form,
more definite than before.
A Woman.
A woman I know.
yet I know her not.  She looks deep
into my eyes, piercing me…
and I understand.
A PLOT.
A CONSPIRACY!
… to keep me from my love, my love
so sweet and true, true
in ways beyond comprehension, beyond words.  But as I turn
to walk away, I find
my adversary standing, facing me, no matter
which way I turn.
Her eyes are boring into me, into
my soul, and she opens
her mouth as if to speak,
but says nothing.
So in my despair I ask,
“Who are you?”

To this she mockingly replies,


Read the full poem in my collection Outside, Inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment